Orange Anise Almond Biscotti
These classic Italian twice-baked biscuits, enriched with almonds, are ideal with coffee or dessert wines, post dinner.
- 3 Large eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 2ml Almond extract
- 200g Refined flour
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 170g Caster sugar
- 100g Chopped almonds
- Pinch of salt
- Milk, as required
Dip half of each biscuit in dark or white melted chocolate. Alternatively drizzle with chocolate.
1. Preheat the oven at 150°C.
2. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
3. Combine eggs, vanilla extract, almond extract in a small mixing bowl and beat. Keep aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour,baking powder,sugar,-al monds and salt and mix well. Add in the egg mixture and bring everything together to make a loose dough. Add a tablespoon or two of milk if the dough feels too tight.
5. Transfer this dough onto a baking tray and use your hands to shape the dough into a fat log 12"-14" long.
6. Bake this log at 150°C for 15-18 minutes, or till the surface feels firm to touch. Remove and cool for 5 minutes.
7. When the log is cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife to slice it horizontally into 1/2" slices. Return these to the baking tray,laying them flat in single layers. Use a second tray if required.
8. Bake biscotti at 150°C for about 20 minutes, till completely dry, crunchy and golden brown in colour.
9. Cool on a wire rack and store in an air-tight jar for up to 1 week.