Dishwasher maintenance and regular care will help prevent malfunctioning, saving you time, money and effort. Regular cleaning with the right dishwasher products will also help ensure that your dishwasher cleans properly. Read Siemens tips on dishwasher care to get the most out of your dishwasher.
Dishwasher maintenance: Monitoring the overall condition
Dishwasher maintenance, dishwasher care and the correct use of dishwasher products are essential to maintain a top overall condition of your dishwashing machine and to avoid problems. Your dishwasher is mostly self-cleaning. It automatically removes deposits at certain intervals by adjusting the programme sequence, for example, by increasing the cleaning temperature. However, more is needed. The Siemens website provides useful tips on how to regularly take care of and clean your appliance. Using Siemens cleaning and care products will keep the dishwasher in peak condition.
Dishwasher care products, cleaner and descaler
The appliance that cleans your tableware every day also needs regular cleaning. We give tips on how to clean your dishwasher with the right dishwashing products to achieve perfect dishwashing results. Water hardness affects the life cycle of your dishwasher like no other coefficient. To extend the life of your appliance, it is important to know the exact level of water hardness in your home, and to use a dishwasher descaler that removes hard water deposits effectively. To avoid malfunctions and to prevent dishwasher smells, Siemens recommends cleaning the dishwasher at regular intervals.
Dishwasher care: Maintenance intervals
To eliminate bad odours, leftover food residue, grease and limescale, Siemens recommends using dishwasher cleaner every 1 to 2 months. If you have little time or prefer to perform thorough cleaning every 4 to 6 months, you could also use powder cleaner. Limescale can damage your dishwasher, so if the water in your area is hard or very hard, you should descale the dishwasher once a year. In the Siemens online store, you will find descaler that has been specially approved for your Siemens dishwasher.
Siemens Dishwasher Care
Stains on glasses and blunt cutlery are both signs that it’s time to clean your dishwasher. This simple routine will free your dishwasher from fat residues. Use a hot temperature programme every 5 to 10 washing cycles. We recommend the Siemens cleaning agent, dishwasher care. It includes ingredients that fight all sorts of fat, starch and protein residues. Use it every 1 to 2 months to remove grease and limescale deposits.
How to use dishwasher care
1. Empty the dishwasher.
2. Do not unscrew the cap, but remove the protective sticker on top of the bottle.
3. Turn the bottle upside down and place it in the cutlery basket.
4. If your dishwasher has no cutlery basket, place the bottle securely in the bottom rack. The protective sticker can be used to attach it.
5. Select a programme of at least 65 °C . Let it run to the end.
In the video, you can see how to use the dishwasher cleaner. A range of cleaning products can be found in the Siemens online store.
Siemens Dishwasher Cleaner
Siemens dishwasher cleaner is a dishwasher maintenance cleaning powder. Use it every 4 to 6 months for an intensive clean to remove fat, starch and protein residues.
- Remove coarse dirt from the dishwasher interior with a damp cloth.
- Run the programme using the dishwasher care product without dishes.
- Use only a dishwasher care product specially designed for dishwashers.
- Observe the cleaning product’s safety and operating instructions.
- In some Siemens dishwashers, the indicator on the control panel automatically switches off even if you have not performed the dishwasher care programme.
How to use a dishwasher cleaner product
1. Empty the dishwasher and remove food residues from the filter area. Clean the spray arms if necessary.
2. Select a programme of at least 65°C and start the dishwasher.
3. Carefully open the dishwasher door after 30 minutes. Empty the dishwasher cleaner into the cutlery basket or distribute it throughout the dishwasher.
4. Run the programme to the end.
If you live in an area with hard water, limescale may quickly build up in your dishwasher. Descaling on a regular basis is an essential part of dishcare. It willl extend the machine's lifespan and ensure top performance. The procedure is simple. Let the dishwasher run on a hot programme without dishes or detergent for half an hour. Then open the door carefully (hot steam!), distribute the dishwasher descaler within the appliance and restart. This process should be repeated once a year, preferably using a Siemens descaler. Limescale won’t normally build up if salt or all-in-one tabs are used as advised in the user manual.
However, Siemens recommends descaling once a year or whenever the dishwasher becomes heavily scaled.
1. Run the 60°C programme without detergent or dishes.
2. Carefully open the dishwasher door after 30 minutes and add the contents of the package.
3. Re-run the programme for a thorough clean.
As soon as the dishwasher care indicator lights up on the control panel or is indicated in the front panel display*, run the dishwasher care programme without dishes. After the dishwasher care programme has ended, the indicator in the control panel will switch off. If your dishwasher does not have a reminder function, then follow the instructions on the packaging of the dishwasher care cleaning product and the hints on this page. Running the dishwasher care programme is an important part of dishwasher care.
*This depends on your dishwasher’s particular options.
You can buy Siemens cleaning and care products in the Siemens online store.
Tip: Dishwashing filter
It’s commonly believed that as long as larger food remnants are removed, dishes don’t need to be rinsed before putting them in the dishwasher. But if they are not, the dishwasher filter will eventually clog. Therefore it is essential to check and clean the dishwasher filter every two months or whenever dishwashing results are unsatisfactory. Cleaning the dishwasher filter takes less than five minutes.
The filter screening system consists of:
- a coarse sieve
- a flat fine sieve
- a micro sieve
The sieves keep impurities from dishwashing water reaching the pump. Impurities can sometimes block the sieves. Thorough sieve cleaning is essential to ensure a clean filter.
1. After each rinse, check the sieves for residue.
2. Unscrew the screen cylinder as shown and remove the screening system.
3. Remove any residue and clean the sieves under running water.
4. Reinstall the screening system in reverse order and make sure that the arrow markings are facing each other after closing.
Bad smells and mould build-up? Follow these simple steps.
A dishwasher can smell for several reasons. Have you checked the filter? Food residues encourage the growth of bacteria and mould and can cause an unpleasant smell. Follow the instructions on how to clean the dishwasher filter with water and soap. Scatter baking soda on it before the next cycle. For additional protection against bad smells, please clean the dishwasher filter on a regular basis.
Cleaning dishwasher spray arms
Inside the dishwasher there are spray arms that shoot pressurised water onto the dishes and detergent dispensing tray. It is important to clean the filter and rotating spray arms regularly to prevent food remnants clogging them. Failure to do so may eventually cause problems and block the dishwasher, indicated by the E22 error code on the display. The spray arms have small holes through which pressurised water shoots onto the dishes and detergent dispensing tray. Limescale and impurities from the rinsing water can clog them, preventing effective spraying. This may also transfer dirt onto the dishes.
Cleaning dishwasher spray arms is therefore essential for good cleaning results. If the spray arms are blocked or dirty, follow these instructions to clean them. Inspect the spray arm nozzles for blocked holes.
- Unscrew the upper spray arm and pull it off downwards.
- Remove the lower spray arm by pulling it upwards.
- Rinse both spray arms under running water to remove debris and to clean the arms.
- Use a cocktail stick to clean any food remnants stuck in the nozzles.
- Re-install the spray arms.
Siemens dishwasher products for cleaning and care
To clean and care for your Siemens dishwasher, use only products specifically designed for dishwashers. Siemens produces a range of cleaning products and maintenance products tested and approved for Siemens dishwashers. Here are examples of tips taken from our dishwasher FAQs:
- Wipe door seals regularly with a damp cloth and a little detergent to keep them clean and hygienic.
- Leave the door open if the dishwasher is unused for longer periods to stop unpleasant smells.
- Wipe the front of the dishwasher and the control panel regularly with a damp cloth and a little detergent.